This taken from the Sun.Star News.
The thing that I can't understand is that we can take a whole country,but can't even save a couple held by Abu on a small island.Of course...I know that the 2 goverments agreed to 6 months,but the 2 militaries should have saved these people within the first month and totally wiped out Abu and his band of rebels.
May 26, 2002
US troops to go home July 1
even without Burnhams
By Harley Palangchao
FORT DEL PILAR -- American troops participating in the joint RP-US Balikatan war games in Mindanao will be going back to the United States after July 1 with or without the Burnham couple, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said.
This developed as AFP Chief of Staff Roy Cimatu on Saturday apologized to the immediate family and relatives of US missionary couple Martin and Gracia Burnham for the continued failure of the military to rescue them.
The Burnhams, who were abducted by the Abu Sayyaf in Dos Palmas Resort in Palawan, will mark their first year in captivity on Monday.
The couple's missionary group, New Tribes Mission (NTM), on Saturday expressed anguish and regret at the US and Philippine governments' failure to rescue them.
"Who among us would have thought that Martin and Gracia Burnham would still be in captivity? The months of separation from their children, parents, family members and mission family have stretched to one year," NTM chairman Oli Jacobsen said on the group's website.
"I want to express our deep concern for Martin and Gracia and their families. New Tribes Mission is committed to seeing this crisis through to the end," he said on www.ntm.org.
In Baguio, Cimatu stressed that there is no provision in the Constitution allowing US troops to directly participate in the on-going search and rescue for the Burnhams and Filipina nurse, Ediborah Yap.
Cimatu was guest of honor and speaker during the incorporation rites of 438 fourth class cadets to compose the Class of 2006 of the Philippine Military Academy.
AFP spokesman Jose Mabanta, for his part, said the US will pull out its forces after July 1 which marks the end of the six-month joint RP-US military exercises in Mindanao.
In his apology, Cimatu also made it clear that the military has been doing its best to retrieve the three captives "in the soonest possible time".
"I am sorry. But I assure them that our soldiers are doing their best to rescue the hostages," Cimatu said.
"Ang mahirap talaga ngayon ay ang pag-search sa location ng mga Burnhams," he added. (It is difficult to pinpoint the Burhams' location.)
Cimatu admitted that the AFP still does not know the exact location of the Abu Sayyaf and its three remaining hostages.
But Cimatu said the on-going pursuit against the bandits is making headway after some 250 Abu Sayyaf leaders and members were killed and 200 others captured during the course of the operation to annihilate the kidnap-for-ransom group.
He added that a video footage showing the Abu Sayyaf members in full force and carrying high-powered firearms no longer holds true. "Wala na yon, most of their firearms were already seized."
Mabanta, meanwhile, dismissed speculations that Yap was already married to Abu Sayyaf chieftain Isnilon Hapilon.
"That's mere speculations, we came across this rumor since October last year."
Martin, 42, and Gracia, 43, were abducted while vacationing on the island resort of Dos Palmas to mark their 18th wedding anniversary. Their three children were not with them at the time, and have since been repatriated and are living with their relatives in the United States.
Martin grew up in the Philippines, where his parents have been missionaries for more than 32 years. The Burnhams have been members of NTM since 1985. (Sun.Star Baguio with AFP)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The thing that I can't understand is that we can take a whole country,but can't even save a couple held by Abu on a small island.Of course...I know that the 2 goverments agreed to 6 months,but the 2 militaries should have saved these people within the first month and totally wiped out Abu and his band of rebels.
May 26, 2002
US troops to go home July 1
even without Burnhams
By Harley Palangchao
FORT DEL PILAR -- American troops participating in the joint RP-US Balikatan war games in Mindanao will be going back to the United States after July 1 with or without the Burnham couple, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said.
This developed as AFP Chief of Staff Roy Cimatu on Saturday apologized to the immediate family and relatives of US missionary couple Martin and Gracia Burnham for the continued failure of the military to rescue them.
The Burnhams, who were abducted by the Abu Sayyaf in Dos Palmas Resort in Palawan, will mark their first year in captivity on Monday.
The couple's missionary group, New Tribes Mission (NTM), on Saturday expressed anguish and regret at the US and Philippine governments' failure to rescue them.
"Who among us would have thought that Martin and Gracia Burnham would still be in captivity? The months of separation from their children, parents, family members and mission family have stretched to one year," NTM chairman Oli Jacobsen said on the group's website.
"I want to express our deep concern for Martin and Gracia and their families. New Tribes Mission is committed to seeing this crisis through to the end," he said on www.ntm.org.
In Baguio, Cimatu stressed that there is no provision in the Constitution allowing US troops to directly participate in the on-going search and rescue for the Burnhams and Filipina nurse, Ediborah Yap.
Cimatu was guest of honor and speaker during the incorporation rites of 438 fourth class cadets to compose the Class of 2006 of the Philippine Military Academy.
AFP spokesman Jose Mabanta, for his part, said the US will pull out its forces after July 1 which marks the end of the six-month joint RP-US military exercises in Mindanao.
In his apology, Cimatu also made it clear that the military has been doing its best to retrieve the three captives "in the soonest possible time".
"I am sorry. But I assure them that our soldiers are doing their best to rescue the hostages," Cimatu said.
"Ang mahirap talaga ngayon ay ang pag-search sa location ng mga Burnhams," he added. (It is difficult to pinpoint the Burhams' location.)
Cimatu admitted that the AFP still does not know the exact location of the Abu Sayyaf and its three remaining hostages.
But Cimatu said the on-going pursuit against the bandits is making headway after some 250 Abu Sayyaf leaders and members were killed and 200 others captured during the course of the operation to annihilate the kidnap-for-ransom group.
He added that a video footage showing the Abu Sayyaf members in full force and carrying high-powered firearms no longer holds true. "Wala na yon, most of their firearms were already seized."
Mabanta, meanwhile, dismissed speculations that Yap was already married to Abu Sayyaf chieftain Isnilon Hapilon.
"That's mere speculations, we came across this rumor since October last year."
Martin, 42, and Gracia, 43, were abducted while vacationing on the island resort of Dos Palmas to mark their 18th wedding anniversary. Their three children were not with them at the time, and have since been repatriated and are living with their relatives in the United States.
Martin grew up in the Philippines, where his parents have been missionaries for more than 32 years. The Burnhams have been members of NTM since 1985. (Sun.Star Baguio with AFP)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards,Mr.JB






